Sunday, May 17, 2015

VANITY OF VANITIES; ALL IS (RETROSPECTIVE) VANITY



         My daughter Anne lives in London where she is pursuing her passion for acting.  Because she, like most other artists, is not able to support herself by her art, she is generally working at least two part-time, minimum-wage jobs.  One of her best non-acting gigs was a stint working at the Mom’s Pavilion at the London Olympics three summers ago.  This was a place for moms and other family members of athletes to relax and be pampered.  

         One of the perks of this job was a bunch of free samples of beauty products, and when Anne visited me a couple of months later, she presented me with a jar of very expensive face cream.  I proceeded to read the label aloud.  I don’t remember the exact wording, but the promise had to do with skin rejuvenation, the elimination of wrinkles, and the all-around restoration of lost youth. “Oh, honey,” I said, “That horse has already left the barn,” and we both laughed a bit about the outlandish fountain-of-youth claims. 

         Of course, I did use the stuff.

         Here’s the thing:  I am no longer young, but neither am I really old.  My sun, however, is setting.  (Never is this clearer than when I stand in front of a mirror with one of my two twenty-something daughters at my side.)  I would like to be able to say that I am entirely sanguine about this, but that would be a lie.  After all, it was only yesterday that I was longing to leave my geeky girlhood behind and grow into my adult self.  Am I really at the other end already?

         When I was maybe 10 or 11, skinny and awkward, my best friend’s much older brother told his mother, who in turn told me, that I had beautiful eyes and would be a knockout when I was older.  I lived on that for years. 

In fact, I was never a knockout, but from my vantage point 50 years later, I think I can safely say that I was pretty on my good days.  Here’s the thing, though.  I was never conscious of my prettiness in the moment.  Whatever vanity I have had has always been retrospective.  That is, I will look at old photos of myself and think (ignoring some unfortunate hairdos), “Hey, I looked pretty good then.”  This is always in comparison with how I look now, whenever now has been.  As I settle into my “senior” years, it occurs to me that there is a lesson to be learned here.  How about if I view my current self from the vantage point of, say, my 80-year-old self?  I’m suddenly looking pretty good.     

(Once, when I [well into my 50s] was walking through my mom’s assisted living facility, one of the other residents said to her, ”Is that your daughter?  Has she started her family yet?”  Bless her myopia.  Oh, yes, I felt young among the 80-year-olds.) 

         How old are you?  This is a pretty straightforward question, right? Well, actually, no. Sure, the basic answer is simple:  I am 65 years old.  But, here’s the thing.  Psychically, I feel about 40.  And my soul, well, my soul is ageless.  This leads to some confusion when I look in a mirror.  My 40-year-old self is startled again and again to see her mother looking back at her from the mirror.  And she is not polite about it:  “Aak!  Where did you come from?” is her pointed cry.   And my soul is becoming quite bossy about her  container.  “You’d better shape up, missy,” she whispers.  “I’m going to need you for a while longer.”

         So much pressure. 

         Didn’t I know I would get older?  Well, yes.  I knew it, but I didn’t exactly expect it.  Mine was the generation that was never going to grow old.

         A fantasy.  Alas. 

         So, how to do this gracefully?
        
         This is a question that will require some pondering.  For now, I will start here:  No cream is going to stop the passage of time.  But, as my skin thins, my soul will have the opportunity to shine through. 

         It’s time to focus on my soul. 

         It’s time to be the person who I was always meant to be.  And that has precious little to do with my soul’s container.       

         And, oh yes, I will look at myself through the eyes of an 80-year-old, and try to appreciate where I am while I am here.  But I will not be looking to see whether I am pretty.  I will be checking to see if I am courageous.  If I am kind.  Grateful.  Generous. 

         To see if my soul is shining through. 

  
Photo by Daria Shevtsova from Pixels

No comments:

Post a Comment