Tuesday, June 21, 2016

NOTES FROM MY FUTURE SELF



         I am a healthy 60-something, and am doing everything I can to keep it that way.   I feel fine.  I am not blind, however, to the fact that, my best efforts notwithstanding, there is a fair chance that sometime between now and when I move on into the great mystery that is death, I will not be as healthy as I am now.  So, just in case I am not able to share these tips later (or forget them. . .), here are some notes from my future self to my future caregivers, based on what I learned caring for my mom during her declining years and what I have gleaned from my first year-and-a-half as a hospice volunteer. *


         Let me start with what I don’t want because I am more upset by these than by the things you are not doing. 

        
1.      Do not leave me alone in a room with a blaring TV over which I have no control.  I prefer music or silence.  On the other hand, I would be happy to have your company while I watch a show of my choosing. 

2.      Do not call me “young lady.”  I know how old I am; you are not flattering me, only patronizing me.

3.      Do not argue with my confusion.  If I mistake my nurse for my mother, ask me what my mother has to say.  If I say I am planning a trip, when you know I can’t walk to the bathroom, ask me about what I am packing and who/where I will visit. 

4.      Do not talk about me as if I am not there.  Assume I can hear you, even if it doesn’t look like I can.

5.      Do not tell me about the sacrifices you are making for me.  I can’t do anything about this.  Assume that someone will make sacrifices for you when your turn comes.   

6.      Do not tell me how upset you are by my condition.  Find someone else to share this with.
  
         Remember that I once had a life as full as yours, and would like some help in filling it now when I am not able to be as active as I once was.  Please do whichever of the following things do not cause discomfort for me or you.    

1.      Take me on outings, if I am able.  I miss being in the world.    

2.      Even if I can’t manage outings, take me outside or place me where I
can see outside.  I was once an active gardener.

3.      Talk with me.   If I tell the same stories over and over again, ask me about something more interesting, such as what it was like to be a teenager in the ‘60s or how I spent my childhood.

4.      If I can’t talk, talk or sing to me.

5.      If I am able to read, bring me books and magazines.  Read to me.  Read to me even if I am still able to read. 

         If I have dementia and can’t tell you what I would like to hear, try reading something that I loved as a child or young person.  (Hint – For me that would be Anne of Green Gables.)  I spent time reading to a hospice patient with dementia who loved Dr. Seuss. 

6.      Hold my hand or rub my feet.  I haven’t lost my need for human contact.

7.      Play music for me.  Ask me what I would like to hear.  If I am not able to tell you, and you know what I loved when I was young, try that.  Otherwise, you are probably safe with classical music. 

8.      If I am confined to my chair or bed, bring me something soft to hold in my hands.

          (If I have dementia, I may still respond to different textures—give me a sampling of different materials to touch.  I might also like a baby doll to hold.) 

9.      Help me to get dressed every day for as long as I am able. 

10.     Be patient with me as I try to keep up with technology.  (OK, you can start on this one now.)  I would like to use the current email/text equivalent to stay in touch with the outside world for as long as I can. Notice when I am no longer able to do this, and see 11and 12 below.

11.     If I can read, send me cards or notes.  I love to feel connected.

12.     If I can answer the phone, call me.  Like I said in No. 11, I love to feel connected.

         My future self thanks you and, if you happen to be a caregiver now, she asks you to take these suggestions to heart.  She would also love to see your additions to this list.  Please share them in the comments below.   

*     This post expands on a previous post titled The Top Ten Things That I Learned at the Assisted Living Facility.  


Photo by Cristian Newman on Unsplash







         

No comments:

Post a Comment