Wednesday, November 2, 2016

TAKE ME OUT TO THE BALL GAME (or how I learned to stop resisting and embrace baseball)

         This one is for Bill.

           When my husband and I joined our lives 12 years ago, he brought to the marriage three adult sons, one grandchild (to be joined by four more over the ensuing years), a gazillion boxes of books, and a love of baseball.

         I quickly came to love the sons and their families. 

         And I made room for many of the books among my own large collection.

         Baseball, however, was another story.  Making my peace with that one has been the work of years.

         Perhaps my backstory will help to explain my resistance. 

         Except for the occasional childhood game of stickball in the street and some mandatory games of basketball and field hockey in high-school gym class, I have never played a team sport.  There weren’t organized leagues for girls when I was young, and, in truth, I probably wouldn’t have been interested.  I spent most of my girlhood with my nose in a book or running around with my friends, playing games involving imaginary characters.  There was lots of built-in walking and bike-riding in those days of free-range children, but not many adult-organized sports outside of Little League, which was still a boys-only activity.  And as an adult, I’ve been more of a walking, swimming, yoga-izing type of exerciser. 

         And then there is this:  I was born without a sports-watching gene.  Sure, I went to some football games in high school.  It was nice to be outside with my friends in the autumn, but I didn’t pay much attention to the game and never learned the rules.  I also went to some basketball games in high school and even pretty much caught onto the rules.     

         And that, with the exception of some excitement the year the Trailblazers won the NBA championship (1977) and a couple of years cheering for a daughter’s volley ball team, pretty much describes the extent of my sports fandom.

           So, there I was 12 years ago, blissful in my sports-free world, cheerfully unable to follow the constant talk of teams and their wins and losses at my work place, scornful of those who wasted hours of their lives in darkened bars and family rooms screaming at and for their favorite teams, when baseball walked into my life and demanded my attention.   
  
         Mind you, I wasn’t introduced to the world of baseball by just anyone.  The man with whom I had cast my lot wasn’t just a baseball fan.  He was a rabid and perpetually disappointed fan of the Chicago Cubs, the team, as I was to learn, with the longest play-off losing streak in the history of baseball.  I had married a man who had listened to the Cubs on the radio as a child in Indianapolis (a city without a major league baseball team), and who had spent the decades since dreaming of the day when they would play in the World Series, something that hadn’t happened since 1945, when, sadly, they lost.   

         What was I to do?  I didn’t care about baseball; when I was a kid, my best friend’s dad used to watch the game and it looked really boring to me.  Still, I felt fortunate that I hadn’t married a man who spent the better part of  every week watching ESPN.  We didn’t even have ESPN – still don’t.  The least I could do was look into this baseball thing that was so important to him and only really occupied him during the play-offs.

         So, after we were married, I started watching the World Series with him each year.  Not every game and not every inning of those games that I did watch.  But I hung out with him and I learned a few things, such as:  The game is mostly about the pitching.  Who knew?  I would have thought, if I had thought about it at all, that it was all about the hitting. 

         And then, 2016 rolled around and there were rumblings that this was the year, the year the Cubs would finally make it to the Series.  And I watched my husband grow cautiously hopeful.  I watched some play-off games with him.  I even texted my excitement to a sports-loving friend as the Cubs looked like they would win the pennant.  Yes, I, Ms. I-don’t-care-about-sports, was excited, drawn in by the Cubbies’ mystique. 

         I found out that watching baseball could be—dare I say it?—fun, not to mention a great distraction from a long and ugly political season.  

         And then, the remarkable, the almost unprecedented – the Cubs in the World Series.  And I folded.  The tension was too much.  I kept leaving the room, rather than watch as the Cubs snatched defeat from the jaws of success again and again.  They would break Bill’s heart.  I couldn’t bear to watch.

         Except.  It wasn’t over.

         They came back.  Back from a 3–1 game deficit.  Winning first one game.  And then another.  And then . . .

         (Here is where I stopped writing to watch the seventh game.)

         You know the ending.  You know (unless you have been living under a rock) that the Cubs ended their 108-year World Series drought tonight.
 
         And, yes, it’s only a game.  A game that will make the players and their handlers and coaches rich whether or not they win.  It will not end world hunger or solve the problems of humankind.  But it was fun to root for the underdogs, even if I accidently called a “full count” a “full house,” and referred to “overtime” instead of “extra innings.” 

         It is good to watch people do something at which they are excellent.  It is good to see success where success has been delayed.  And if we elect our first female President during the same week that the Cubs won the Series, who knows what else might be possible. 
            
          
         

No comments:

Post a Comment