Photo by Venti Views on Unsplash
Friends, I did something incredibly stupid last night -- stupid and dangerous and embarrassing.
I am so embarrassed that I am loath to tell you what I did, but am going to set aside my embarrassment and share my story in the hope that it will prevent you from doing this or something similar. (I do not assume, dear readers, that you are as foolish as I, but we all have our moments, do we not?)
Herewith my cautionary tale.
Because I have dry eyes, I keep eye drops on my bedside table. Last night my eyes felt particularly scratchy, so I decided to skip the eye drops and go straight for eye gel. Do you all know about eye gel? It comes in a very small tube and does a great job of moisturizing eyes overnight.
(You’ve figured out the punchline already, haven’t you? I will, nonetheless, finish my recital.)
I grabbed the little tube and headed for bed. After lying down, I squeezed a bit of the gel into my left eye.
Yikes! It stung!
I sprang out of bed, ran into the bathroom, and began splashing cold water in my eye. I did this for a very long time before looking to see what I had put in my eye.
It was Compound W – a wart-removing gel! (I didn’t even remember having wart-removing gel in my home.)
In my defense, the tubes look very much alike – both blue and white and similar in size.
Of course, I should have looked closely at the tube before bringing it anywhere near my eye, as I am sure you would have done, but just in case, I want to warn you to ALWAYS READ THE LABEL before applying any foreign matter to your person.
Back to my story –
I continued to flush out my eye, first with cold water, then with eye drops. After determining that I had not blinded myself, I went back to bed, applied actual eye gel, and managed to fall asleep.
I awoke this morning with a very red and irritated eye. What to do? Should I go to the ER? No, I would wait hours to be seen. Should I go to urgent care? No, they would just tell me to go to my eye doctor. So, I called my optometrist’s office, and they were able to work me in.
The optometrist did a thorough exam, told me the eye looked much better than she expected--although my cornea was somewhat abraded, and congratulated me on doing such a good job of flushing out the goo. She also told me that neither the ER nor urgent care would have had the machine she employed to look at my eye.
The good doctor was kindness itself and assuaged my embarrassment by telling me she had seen worse in the form of a woman who accidentally squeezed nail glue into her eye, necessitating surgery to open her eye lid.
I, by contrast, have only to apply antibiotic drops for a week to prevent infection. I think it is safe to say I got off easy.
And now, if you will excuse me, I am off to rest my eye. . . .
p.s. - Yes, I did throw away the wart gel.
A mistake any of us could make as the tubes look very similar. Glad it didn’t do too much damage. N
ReplyDeleteWow! Good on ya for quick thinking and persistent action in the flushing! I have been tempted more than once, in the dark, to grab the eyedrops David and I share, vaguely aware that he also has another medication in another dropper bottle nearby. Hereafter, you will be my emergency warning system. Patty
ReplyDeleteOuch!!
ReplyDeleteHoly moly! That story definitely got my attention, in the "it could have been me" category. I am so glad you got seen to by the eye doc, and that you are facing no lasting damage.
ReplyDeleteOh my, Marjorie, I am so glad it turned out ok!
ReplyDeleteThis sounds like something I would do. In fact, if our mutual friends were reading this, they’d have a hard time distinguishing between which of us actually did this. That said, I appreciate knowing what you’re going through/whether are you are alright, knowing the benefits of seeing an Ophthalmologist instead of an urgent care, doctor, and knowing that there are other people like myself who are imperfect.
ReplyDeleteI put ear drops in my eye once! I will never not double check again. Take care Marjorie! I look forward to your blogs!
ReplyDeleteJulie Johnson
So glad you’re ok. Terrifying 💔 Blessings, Sheila
ReplyDeleteGlad you are ok.🤗❤️
ReplyDeleteI’m so sorry this happened to you. I’m so glad that your eye will be fine. Take care.
ReplyDelete