Tuesday, October 22, 2019

I CURSE YOU MICROSOFT

A while back, I heard someone on the radio talking about what she called “shadow work.”  She used this term to describe the unpaid hours we spend on work that someone else used to do for us.

As an example she mentioned vacation planning, lamenting the loss of travel agents. Without these intermediaries, we must now spend hours squinting at our computer screens, trying to put together the "best deal" for our next trip. 

Yesterday I spent 3 hours on shadow work of a different kind.  Today I spent 40 minutes.  All of this on the phone with Microsoft trying to resolve an issue with Word.

I won’t bore you with the nature of the problem.  I will share that it took me nearly an hour of answering questions from a robot, pushing various numbers on my phone, listening to horrible tinny music and messages suggesting I look for my answer online, to get a message telling me a human would call me in 20 minutes.  (Of course, I had already tried to find the answer up online – why did they think I was calling?!)

When, after more than 20 minutes, I got the call back, I first answered more robot questions, then was handed over to a human who asked the same questions AGAIN, then put me on hold (where I waited through more horrible tinny music and suggestions that I look up my answer online), while I was transferred to another human because the first human dealt only with Windows and I have a Mac.  

After the second human repeated the same questions, I, holding my phone to my ear attempted to keep up with his instructions using one hand, then switched to holding the phone to my ear with my shoulder – not easy to do with a cell phone.  Eventually, I allowed him to commandeer my mouse so he could fix the problem.  After he uninstalled Office and sold me a new version, we waited for the purchase to download.  When a message said download would take 40 minutes, I agreed he could tell me what to do when the download was complete, and we both got off the phone

By now, two more hours had elapsed. 

When the download was complete, I followed the instructions the second human had given.  

Alas, when I opened Word, MY PROBLEM HAD NOT BEEN RESOLVED. *

I wanted to weep.  Or scream.  

I did neither.  I called a friend and vented, then took an Epsom salt bath (the phone-holding with the shoulder having left me with a sore neck and back). I lay in the tub fondly remembering my electric typewriter, which had never demanded more of me than a new ribbon.  And then I remembered carbon paper and Wite-Out, and had to acknowledge that word processing was a life changer.

I called Microsoft again this morning – this time I knew which buttons to push to get a human, but I still got a Windows human and had to be transferred to a Mac human and I still had to answer robot questions and the same questions from each human.  

Doesn’t anyone take notes?

By the time I got to human number two, I was just the teensiest bit testy.  My mood was not improved by the fact that I could barely hear her over the voices of the other phone helpers, one of whom was talk/yelling so loudly that I wondered why he needed a phone. 

I am sorry to say I was not nice.  I am not proud of the version of myself I showed to her.  I know none of this was her problem, but a person can just take so much.

I am happy to say she solved my problem.  I am sorry to say it took another 40 minutes.  

Each human was very nice.  Each was so sorry for my inconvenience.  Each kindly told me I was entitled to free tech support any time I need it.  

Seriously?  

If it’s going to take 3 hours and 40 minutes of telephone torture for them to resolve a tech problem, I want more than free tech support.  

I want house calls.  

I want to be reimbursed for my time.

I want a gift certificate for a massage to ease my tensed up shoulders and neck.

I want phone trees to be outlawed.

I want to put Bill Gates in a room and make him listen to Microsoft’s robot voice repeating the same message over and over and over again – with an occasional break for horrible music.  

Look, I know Microsoft isn't the only culprit.  But it was the culprit yesterday and today, so it gets my wrath.

I'm on to you companies that use phone trees.  I know you know that phone trees and long wait times and robot voices are crazy-making.  I know you know you don't have enough people to answer your phones and don't intend to hire more.  I know you are hoping I will get so frustrated that I will go away and live with my problem. 

Shame on you!

I also know this is a First World problem.  I know I am lucky to have a computer and a house to keep it in and a cell phone with which to seek technical support.  The thing is, I live in the First World and, in order to function well here and do what I do, which includes a lot of writing, I need word processing.  And it shouldn’t take nearly 4 hours of my time for Microsoft to fix, or help me to install, its product.  

Thank you for taking the time to read this rant.  I am sure you all have stories of your own.  I’d like to hear them.  

Misery loves company.  



* I don't blame the underpaid human.  He could only do so much over the phone.

4 comments:

  1. So true, so true for so many of us. Even those of us who have a modicum or more of computer skills. I'll have to add the epsom salt bath to my recovery regimen. I don't know how many times I have cried and/or screamed--at the universe-at my computer--myself into a headache. ..my eyes and face all red and puffy,having blown through an inch of kleenex. You are not alone...gilah ps Not really posting anonymously..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As you know, your modicum is far above my modicum. . .

      Delete
  2. I sooo get this. My nemeis is insurance companies, which I have to call at least every other week to confirm mental health benefits for patients. I have taken to venting my spleen via facebook, laboring under the delusion that my stories of long calls and frequent transfers will march as soldiers in the coming war against for-profit health insurers. I have documented phone calls that last 20-30-40 minutes and involve one or two transfers to "carve out" companies- so called because both they and the insurer have decided that each can increase their profits by selling/buying one segment of the business for management of, in my case, mental health benefits. I know that 40 minutes pales in comparison to the hours and days you describe, but in the moment it feels unconscionable. I remember hearing someone a few years ago comment on the "time saving" technology of phone trees and digital selections. (Push 3 for internal bleeding.) He noted that the time that is being saved is that of the company you're calling- not your time. This struck me as so obvious that I was astounded it hadn't occurred to me before. I had just gone along with the cultural/business world programming that digitizing and automating was great. When I have really hit my limit, I acknowledge to the poor customer service rep that I know my frustration isn't their fault, but that their system is so cruel to actual humans that it is one of the reasons many people are open to a single-payor system. They usually don't know what to say to that- I'm sure they're being recorded "for quality assurance and training"- so that they have to be very careful about what they say. Ah, modern life. It's always somethin'.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have never viewed phone trees as time savers. Time and soul suckers is a better description. Sadly, in most cases, we can't threaten to take our business elsewhere -- there just aren't very many "elsewheres." I did have a very good, very efficient phone experience with Apple recently, so they are on my good list, at least as far as telephone help goes.

      Delete