Tuesday, July 30, 2024

RING OF FIRE: SOME THOUGHTS ON MY SMOKE-FILLED YOUTH

I stepped out of my car in a parking lot yesterday and walked straight into a cloud of cigarette smoke.  I nearly gagged, although the smoking culprit was a car's-length away.  It amazes me that cigarette smoke affects me so, given that I grew up in a haze of the stuff.  My father chain smoked--lit one from another from the time he woke up until the time he went to sleep.   And in those days - the 1950s and ‘60s - he and everyone else smoked inside the house. We had a small home, which means I effectively smoked until my father quit cold-turkey when I was fifteen.  

And people didn’t just smoke at home.  They smoked in their cars.  And at work. And on airplanes. And anywhere else they damn well pleased.  (Sure, airborne smokers were eventually confined to the back of the plane, but, come on, there wasn’t a plexiglass divider.)

Kids these days nag their parents to quit.  This never crossed my mind.  Almost everybody's dad (and some of the moms) smoked.  Most homes had pedestal ashtrays – tall brass affairs that cradled shallow glass bowls.  Then there were the DIY ashtrays that I crafted during my New Jersey childhood.  I would collect large seashells when we went “down the shore,” and color them with crayons, before proudly presenting them to my father to use as receptacles for his cigarette butts.  

I am sure my hair and clothes smelled perpetually of smoke.  But, again, I was so used to living in smoke-filled rooms that I didn’t notice the odor.  After all, smoking was normal.  And not just normal.  Smoking was adult.  Smoking was sexy.  In those pre-internet days, television was king, and smoking was all over television.  Newscasters smoked.  Television personalities smoked.  I can still see Dean Martin with a drink in one hand and a cigarette in the other.  

And, oh, the ads.  The Marlboro Man rode on horseback across our screens, admonishing the viewer to “Come to where the flavor is; come to Marlboro country.”  Marlboro country was a mythical place, where men were rugged cowboys, and smoking was cool.  



These ads, of course, were aimed at men.  Women were meant to be enticed by Virginia Slims ads, which co-opted the nascent women’s movement.  


Despite the Surgeon General’s 1964 report linking cigarette smoking to cancer, bronchitis, and other diseases, it wasn’t until 1970, that cigarette ads were banned from television and radio. By then, I had witnessed countless hours of said ads, not to mention dozens of old movies that made cigarette smoking look sophisticated.  These days, only lowlifes and baddies smoke in movies and on TV, but it wasn’t always so. 

My love of old movies and the best efforts of advertisers notwithstanding, I never did succumb to the siren call of cigarettes. Well, there was that one time. I was maybe 18 when, on a whim, I bought a pack at Walgreens and, standing outside, took a few covert puffs, before choking and throwing the rest of the pack in a nearby garbage can.  That was the alpha and omega of my smoking career. 

I’m glad smoking is no longer acceptable in restaurants and offices, at least in our part of the world.  I’m glad I no longer have to stand in a pall of smoke while waiting to use the loo on an airplane.  I’m glad my experience in the parking lot yesterday was unusual enough to be noteworthy.  And I hope that scenes such as the one I am about to describe will one day be a thing of the past.  

My mother lived in an assisted living facility for 12 years.  Those residents who wished to smoke were shunted outside to a gazebo, where they would huddle with their cigarettes in all kinds of weather.  I was especially saddened by the elderly women, for whom smoking had been so glamorous in their World-War-II youth. Seeing them wizened and furtive always gave me a pang. They had not had the benefit of the Surgeon General’s report.  I doubt they knew they were engaging in an addictive activity. I hope that smoking calmed them and gave them courage during the war, and I am sorry it burdened them in their final years. I hope their children and grandchildren have found other ways to self-soothe.  

And I hope you will breathe free tonight, cozy inside a smoke-free home.   

6 comments:

  1. Wonderful, Marji! Brought back memories. Yeah, self-soothing. That is so what it was!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember those days in the car with my parents both smoking! No rolling the windows down.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ditto!!! Except I could/cannot replicate your beautifully written narrative, Marjorie 🤗 (my exploration was at Jeannie Bales' house, w/in sound range of 1964 State Fair & The Beatles. She looked So Cool (but didn't push me); the Beatles Sounded so cool (but I was not a "screamer); &, routinely, I happily took Dad's $3 & ran to the corner drugstore for a Carton of Kents). Oh & I too (thank goodness!) choked & coughed Hard - & was So Dizzy.🤗❤️💕

    ReplyDelete